NOMINATIONS – Shockers Greatest Comeback’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOMINATIONS – Shockers Greatest Comeback’s

1. 1978, at Levitt (Koch) Arena, DePaul led WSU 85-71 with 5:04 remaining. WSU won 95-92.
    2. 1981, NCAA Tournament, WSU trailed Iowa 40-25 early in the second half. WSU won 60-56.
    3. 1981, NCAA Tournament, WSU trailed KU 65-62 with less than 0:50 remaining. WSU won 66-65.
    4. 2013, at Illinois State, down 8 with 0:41-seconds remaining. WSU won 95-92.
    5. 2014, at Missouri State, down 19 with 11:25 remaining. WSU won in OT 72-69.

* I will try and put a poll together after the nominations.

Of your nominees, which are good ones, I'd list:
    1.Iowa(loudest I've ever heard the place)
    2.Illinois State.....that just doesn't happen much...
    3.MSU Saturday...still amazes me!

Comment

The Screw in the Lew, minus the last 1.9 seconds.
      “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
      -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
        I'm not sure what bathroom sex has to do with this topic, but if it did, I think you'd have to include the last 1.9 seconds.

Comment

It was 47-25 with about 15 minutes left I believe. I don't remember how many and-ones Durley got, but it was quite a few. Had a clock operator done their job, it'd be a win and on the list.

Also, another great comeback in a loss was the 04-05 home game against SIU. I'm sure a lot of people remember that one, cause the crowd was crazy loud.

Comment

Definitely has to be the 1981 NCAA tournament game vs. Iowa. In a rare NCAA tournament game on our true home court, the crowd was definitely the key. Not only was it deafeningly loud, it had to be one of the highest basketball IQ crowds I've ever been a part of. In the 2nd half, it was as if the crowd and players merged in a harmonic convergence. Never forget Randy Smithson falling back on his butt after he hit that free throw.

Comment

How about WSU vs Gonzaga last year, I think it was 23 pts in nine posessions
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I don't know to what you are referring. What was wrong with the last 1.9? They reviewed, correctly disallowed the basket, then allowed the blowjays to play the next day because of reasons still yet explained.

That was a win folks.

Comment

My favorite part about the 1.9 debacle is that Creighton fans still insist that Booker got the shot off with plenty of time (even if the clock had started on time.) You know who says there was 0% chance he got it off in time? Booker Woodfox.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
                    Also, another great comeback in a loss was the 04-05 home game against SIU. I'm sure a lot of people remember that one, cause the crowd was crazy loud.
                    It was 03-04. It was 11-0 SIU then 43-20 SIU when Coach Turgeon started lighting into the guys during the under 4 timeout and that's when things started to get crazy. The Shocks went on an 11-4 run before Matt Clark hit a corner 3 to end the half and blow up the Arena. I promise you it's never been that loud with WSU down 13. It was incredible. But it was NOTHING compared to the 15-0 run to start the 2nd half and give WSU the lead at 49-47.

SIU was so effing tough...nobody comes back on the road from what WSU threw at them. NOBODY. That was a 29-4 run and they were in deep foul trouble, relying on freshman guards. And they won. Those were some tough minded sons of guns.
                    Last edited by WuDrWu; January 13, 2014, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
                      Definitely has to be the 1981 NCAA tournament game vs. Iowa. In a rare NCAA tournament game on our true home court, the crowd was definitely the key. Not only was it deafeningly loud, it had to be one of the highest basketball IQ crowds I've ever been a part of. In the 2nd half, it was as if the crowd and players merged in a harmonic convergence. Never forget Randy Smithson falling back on his butt after he hit that free throw.
                      It's very difficult to replicate how really cool that game was....my ears hurt for hours, and I loved it!

Comment

Iowa 1981, loudest the place has ever been and had to win to get the chance to play ku...they could not run from that game!

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
                          Iowa 1981, loudest the place has ever been and had to win to get the chance to play ku...they could not run from that game!
                          There were so many people crammed into the arena that day. I bet the fire marshall had his hands over his eyes. I still believe the SIU game I referred to earlier was louder. There was tremendous excitement in the Iowa game. There was excitement and passion and hatred for the opponent in the SIU game. Both were deafening. Of course, WSU won the Iowa game, so it was much louder when it counted.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            It was 03-04. It was 11-0 SIU then 43-20 SIU when Coach Turgeon started lighting into the guys during the under 4 timeout and that's when things started to get crazy. The Shocks went on an 11-4 run before Matt Clark hit a corner 3 to end the half and blow up the Arena. I promise you it's never been that loud with WSU down 13. It was incredible. But it was NOTHING compared to the 15-0 run to start the 2nd half and give WSU the lead at 49-47.

SIU was so effing tough...nobody comes back on the road from what WSU threw at them. NOBODY. That was a 29-4 run and they were in deep foul trouble, relying on freshman guards. And they won. Those were some tough minded sons of guns.
                            I remember this one well. Our guys put everything they had into that comback and just ran out of gas before the finish line. Those seasons were difficult because we just could not get over the hump.
                            “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                            -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

SIU was so effing tough...nobody comes back on the road from what WSU threw at them. NOBODY. That was a 29-4 run and they were in deep foul trouble, relying on freshman guards. And they won. Those were some tough minded sons of guns
                              This. As you say we were getting clobbered and the place was still very loud. ( As an aside some of those crowds in the early 2000s don't get enough credit historically for being loud while watching some mediocre/ bad teams). ......I was at the Iowa game too, but this SIU game gets my vote. That is, until last Saturday night.

Comment

Working...
                              X